Laytham occurs twice in the Domesday Book, partly in the Manor of Wressle, and partly in the Manor of Aughton. It was never a manor or lordship in its own right.
Manor of Aughton (Mauley Fee)
Laytham comprised 2 carucates and 5 bovates in the soke of the Manor of Aughton, and had a very small population of just 6 sokemen and 1 bordar.
The Lord in 1066 was Earnwig the priest, and in 1086 was Nigel Fossard. The tenant-in-chief was Count Robert of Mortain. No values were given.
In 1284-85 Peter Mauley held in Latham three carucates of land in fee, of which the prior of Ellerton helds 6 bovates of German , and German of Peter Mauley. Remy de Pokylington held 1 carucate of land and ½ a bovate. Roger di Lynton held half a carucate, and Richard, son of Adam helds two bovates of land of the Prior, and Robert Fenton, 1 bovate, and Denis of Lynton 2 bovates, which they held of German, and German of Peter Mauley.1
By 1302 the Mauley fee in Laytham comprised 2 carucates of land, of which James Millington held 1 carucate and 1½ bovates, Robert of Fenton held 3 bovates, Denis of Lynton held 2 bovates, and Hugh of Lynton ½ bovate, where 16 bovates made a knight’s fee.2
For the subsequent history of this part of Laytham please refer to the section of the Manor of Aughton.
Manor of Wressle (Mowbray Fee)
Laytham comprised 1 carucate and 3 bovates in the soke of the Manor of Wressle, and had a very small population of just 5 households, with 20 villagers, 6 bordars, 2 sokemen and 1 priest. There was also a church.
The lord in 1066 was Alwin when it was worth £2, and in 1086 the lord was Gilbert Tison when it was worth £3. The tenant-in-chief was Gilbert Tison.
In 1284-85 Laytham was among places where land constituted the 3.5 knights’ fees held by William Constable of John de Vescy, who held of the Mowbray fee; and a carucate in Laytham was held of the Mowbray fee, of which the Prior of Ellerton held 5 bovates in demense.5 William Northyby and Robert Redhode and William Hagroby held three bovates, and John of Bowelton held one carucate of land of the heir of Mowbray.6
For the subsequent history of this part of Laytham please refer to the Bubwith One-Place Study, Manors, Gribthorpe, as this too formed part of the manor of Wressle. For the descent of the land in Laytham held by the Prior of Ellerton please refer to the Ellerton One-Place Study, History, Ellerton Priory and St Mary’s Church.